Grey Cloud School
If you have photos or memories of this school to share, please contact us.
District No. 48, Grey Cloud School
|YEARS SCHOOLS BUILT
||Western Washington County, just north of Moore Lake.
||Located at Grey Cloud Island Drive and Geneva
- 1870: School is first held in a building situated in a grove north of a Herbert Ames’ house. A new school is built later that year.
- 1880s: School is moved.
- 1920s: A new yellow stucco school replaces the old.
- 1937: The school is consolidated to St. Paul Park along Mooer’s Lake, named after a fur trader of MN.
- Most of the records of this school are incomplete. Before it was rebuilt, it was known to be a very small school, and apparently had shown its “wear and tear”; clearly it deteriorated greatly over the years. Roads were known to be either sandy in the summer or blocked by snow in the winter so attendance was very poor.
- In 1899, there were 27 pupils, half were of Native American descent.
- Poor attendance by students was a significant problem at this school, as noted by many of the teachers.
|1898-9: Mamie Daly
1910s: Hattie Ames
1935-6: Helen Keith
Other teachers: (before 1898): Mary Daulton, Lydia Wilkins, B.R. Morrisy, Mary Collopy, George Hammer, Addie Mosher, Annie O’Connor, Laura Goff.