The Washington County Historical Society currently operates three museums, two of which are both located on the National Register of Historic Places.
Warden’s House Museum – Stillwater, Minnesota
The Warden’s House Museum was built in 1853 as the residence of the Minnesota Territorial Prison warden. The museum consists of 14 rooms decorated in the late 19th and early 20th century style. Many rooms are like that of a upper middle class household while other rooms depict certain historic themes of Washington County including a room dedicated to the lumbering industry and still another that shows off items that children would use more than one hundred years ago.
Hay Lake School and Erickson Log Home – Scandia, Minnesota
The WCHS museum site at Scandia includes the one-room Hay Lake School (1896) and the Johannes Erickson Log Home (1868). Together, the buildings illustrate pioneer life for the area’s 19th-century Scandanavian immigrants.
Eder School – Oakdale, Minnesota
In early 2016, WCHS began managing the programming and collections at the historic Eder School. The school was built in 1888 and is an example of the rural one-room school system.