Pfiffner School students in 1898.

Pfiffner School students in 1898.

If you have any photos or memories of the school to share, please contact us.

Pfiffner District No. 11, Grant Township
DISTRICT FORMED The borders of the school district were carved from the Soule District and established in 1859.
YEARS SCHOOLS BUILT 1860; 1881 (about 24X36 feet in size, pictured above)
GENERAL LOCATION Halfway between White Bear Lake and Stillwater in Grant Township
MODERN ADDRESS Hwy. 96 and Jamaica Avenue
DISTRICT BOUNDARIES A few changes by 1898 were made where a half-section on the north and a half-section on the west were lost, and a half-section on the east and a quarter-section on the south were gained.
DISPOSITION Destroyed by fire in 1979
NOTES
  • The school was named for the clerk of the district, Robert J. Pfiffner. It was used by eighth graders until the 1940s. Known by many as “The Little Red School House,” it was used as an activity center in the 1970s and was the site of a successful art fair. About that time it became part of “Victoria Station.”
  • “Transients” burned it down August 4, 1979.
  • Consolidated with Mahtomedi School District around 1952.