If you have any photos or memories of the school to share, please contact us.

District No. 23, Eastwood/Haskell
DISTRICT FORMED Organized in 1855 as District 2, renumbered as district 23 in 1862
YEARS SCHOOLS BUILT 1855
GENERAL LOCATION Located near Hastings and Stillwater Rd
MODERN ADDRESS Located in central Afton, or Hwy. 95 near Trading Post Trail
DISTRICT BOUNDARIES originally part of District #2 in 1855, but became 23 in 1862.
DISPOSITION Residence
NOTES *The school house had to be expanded due to high enrollment so the building was “moved back fifteen feet and an addition, part of which was divied into a hall and two cloak rooms, was built on the front.” – Stillwater Gazette

Known Teachers

1856-7: Charlotte Hill
1884: Emma B. Lindsey
1891-2: J. Wood
1898-9: Mary Hummel
1938-9: Rose Ouruda
1939-40: Rose Ouruda
Other Teachers: Professor Newcombe
Mary Seeley
Etta Fay
Joe Oldham
Will Oldham
Mrs. Eastwood

Other Facts:

  • Attendance was 40-50 students at best.
  • Located in central Afton, or Hwy. 95 near Trading Post Trail.

Memories:
“Until 1863 the school building was neither plastered nor lathed and the only furnishing was a number of rudely constructed seats of rough plank.” -Stillwater Gazette