If you have any photos or memories of the school to share, please contact us.

District No. 44, Hugo
DISTRICT FORMED 1867
YEARS SCHOOLS BUILT 1869
GENERAL LOCATION Near the city of Hugo in Oneka Township.
MODERN ADDRESS Located off Hwy. 61 near Hugo.
DISTRICT BOUNDARIES N/A
DISPOSITION Now Razed
NOTES
  • 1867: District established.
  • 1868: First school opens in V.B. Barnum’s house.
  • 1869-1870: School is moved, but proved to be inconvenient for children.
  • 1876: School is moved.
  • 1882: Addition to school
  • 1894: Addition to school.
  • The school was constantly crowded.
  • It is the oldest district in the Oneka township.
MEMORIES: “We now have a two room building, with a seating capacity of about 100 pupils. The enrollment for this year will probably not be less than 125 … no addition has ever been made to the library and many of the books are now worn out or lost.” – Stillwater Gazette, Oct. 1898.

Known Teachers:

1868-9: Ruth Miller
1890s: Andrew Jardine, Inger Schak
1898-9: Alice Soule, Minnie Kinyon
1938-9: Florence Dunn
1939-40: Pauline Ackerman, Hermie Johnson