This photo appeared in the April 15, 1899 The Stillwater Gazette (weekly), part of the "Our County Public Schools Series" column (see this issue for a detailed history of the school district up to that time).

This photo appeared in the April 15, 1899 The Stillwater Gazette (weekly), part of the “Our County Public Schools Series” column (see this issue for a detailed history of the school district up to that time).

If you have any photos or memories of the school to share, please contact us.

Kilty/County Home District No. 5, Stillwater Township
DISTRICT FORMED Originally part of Lyman District # 6 until June 1861 when it split off
YEARS SCHOOLS BUILT 1863 (previously in the Heifort home), 1870 (moved in 1877), post-1899
GENERAL LOCATION Originally on Marine Road, later moved one-half mile further north to the northern part of section 5.
MODERN ADDRESS 55th and 120th
DISTRICT BOUNDARIES Eastern edge marked by Big Carnelian Lake and south end of Loon Lake marks southern boundary (as assessed in 1952).
DISPOSITION Razed
NOTES
  • “It was formerly a part of district No. 6, better known as the Lyman district, but this being so great a distance for the children to travel it was decided to divide the district, and No. 5 became a separate district in June, 1861.”
  • “In the fall of 1863, a school house was built on the Marine road, on the same section (as the Heifort house) and about one mile east of the old one.”
  • “This school house, unfortunately, was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1870, but was rebuilt the next year at a cost of $600.”
  • In 1899, there were 19 students attending this school and teachers noted excellent attendance records.
  • For a time, the school was divided into five grades denoted by the letters A through E.

Known Teachers

1861: Emma Prescott
1863: Kate Boutwell
1877: Mary O’Brien
Pre-1898: Mary Brown
Mary S. Jenkins
Maud Soule
Mary E. Grady
Cassie Knights
Amos H. Hill
1898: D. Tillie Caplazi
1909: Miss Engerstrom

 

Kilty School in 1952.

Kilty School in 1952.