This photo appeared in the February 22, 1899 Stillwater Gazette (weekly edition), part of the “Our County Public Schools Series” column. (See that issue for a detailed history of the school district up to that time.)
If you have any photos or memories of the school to share, please contact us.
Boutwell District No. 7, Stillwater Township
||1851, originally as Boutwell District No. 2
|YEARS SCHOOLS BUILT
||1852; pre-1899 just to the west of the first school, pictured here
||North side of Stillwater Road, west side of the Summit Road, not far from Summit Station.
||Manning and Boutwell Avenues
||Long Lake marks the southern edge of the district. The district included the western edge of Stillwater.
||Milkhouse, since razed
- Also listed as the Rutherford School
- In 1852, there were 36 students enrolled at this school.
- Consolidated with surrounding districts in the 1950s.
||Mrs. Hester Boutwell
||William T. Toothaker
Front Row [left to right]: Percy Beecroft, Charles Beecroft, Grace Carmichael, Rollie Powell, Clint Rutherford, Clara Carmichael, Gail Powell, Lance Rutherford, Dean Ramsden, Myrtle Rutherford.
Back Row [left to right]: Albert Ernest Beecroft, Ed Beecroft, Clarence Peterson, Lydia Powell, Earl armichael, Eva Masterman, Lyle Powell, Teacher Pearl Goff, Mabel Peterson, Olive Rutherford, Elsie Rutherford, Hazel Ramsden.